sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I can't open the rear hatch on my 2006 Toyota ghlander, yes,

Customer Question

I can't open the rear hatch on my 2006 Toyota highlander
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have the rear cover off and was able to remove the three bolts that hold the lock in place but no luck
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the liftgate won't open it could be a failure of the latch itself, which is most likely, or it could be a linkage issue, liftgate or striker adjustment, or there could be something foreign closed in it. Something foreign or an adjustment issue shoudl have been apparent so I doubt those are the case.

The first thing you'll want to try is moving the linkage manually at the latch to see if it will open, which I suspect you have already done if you have the trim panel off. If it still won't open then the latch is going to need to be broken/cut/dismantled until the liftgate can be opened and then the latch replaced.