Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have an A340H on my toyota pickup and its leaking trans

Customer Question

Hello I have an A340H on my toyota pickup and its leaking trans fluid from the bell housing weep hole area what seals do i need to replace?
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: I check it frequently but recently when I drive it for 30 min or more highway speeds it overheats, this could be part of the problem with the leak. Fluid was completely changed with D4 redline ATF about a year and a half ago.
JA: What year is your Pickup?
Customer: 1992
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am, havent tried anything so far except transmedic which helps for a short period of time
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no i dont think so
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for posting

The only place it can leak ATF there is the front oil pump seal for the transmission, the oil pump has a seal for the torque converter and an O-ring that goes around the outside of the pump housing, once the transmission is removed the entire oil pump can be removed and the seal and o-ring replaced, a special tool/puller is needed to pull the pump out, the torque converter output shaft should be checked for any grooves or wear that can cause the seal to leak and if necessary the torqe converter replaced if there is any execessive wear. In most cases it is only necessary to replace the pump seal.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Alright thanks for the info, the FSM for the truck is a little vague when it comes to these things. Is it possible to replace this seal without dropping the whole transmission? just pushing it back? When the truck is cold it has a hard time shifting into 3rd gear but once it warms up its fine, its been like that for awhile. Could this be a problem with the shift solenoids? The heating up issue I mentioned above is there any common fixes associated with that issue? I realize these could all be separate issues not related to eachother so are there any rebuild kits for this transmission that you could recommend?

What I would recommend is to try to find a reconditioned transmission, it sounds like this one is getting very tired and those shifting issues are probably due to worn parts and clutches wich causes internal pressure loss, maybe even a used one but then you never know what you end up with. I had a 4 runner about 15 years ago that was kind of doing the same thing plus it wouldn't go into overdrive until it was driven for about 5 miles or more I was going to take it apart and rebuilt it which I used to do many years ago but could not find any commercially available kits so I got rid of it, they wanted $1800 for a "reconditioned" one from a junkyard and it was probably only worth about $3000

The torque converter seal can not be replaced without removing the transmission.