Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

My husband is driving. Car Check engine light came on and

Customer Question

My husband is driving. Car Check engine light came on and the VSC light as well as trace off. All at once.
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: to flickering and has not noticed any performance problems. Has 2 more hours of driving to get back home
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: Toyota Sienna van 2010, 140,000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Can deal with tomorrow but want to get him home tonight without incident. He in rural area so not open stations around
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: He filled up with gas at noon during lunch then started driving after work. Has been on road for 2 hours
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

The ceck engine light can be caused by something simple since the van is running normally, it's most likely emission control related and there is no problem driving it back. The other lights will turn on as soon as the check engine light turns on because these systems are disabled as long as the check engine light stays on. ask him to check to see if the gas cap is on and tight, you said he just got some fuel so that could very well be the cause. After that when he gets back and the light is still on you should have it diagnosed, most auto part stores will do this for you at no charge, they will get the diagnostic codes for you, then if necessary you can contact me again and let me know what they found.