Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

My new 2016 Toyota Avalon has more road and wind noise than

Customer Question

My new 2016 Toyota Avalon has more road and wind noise than a "quiet" car should have.
Passengers in the back seat have complained of difficulty speaking to us because of it. I traded in a 2005 Avalon for this car and it made significantly less noise. The GPS sent us into the Hudson River on two occasions, and doesn't recognize the street that it's on.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer working afternoon till just after midnight.

Finishing up my work day here. I have worked my way down the list top to bottom helping all I can. I think I can help you but I see you have waited a long time. Do you still want or need help?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't see any reply.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will call when my husband can talk to you.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not spending another $$$ until you write me some sort of an answer. I've asked medical questions here and gotten a written reply.

My suggestion since your not getting help at the dealer is to find the issue yourself and point it out to the dealer.

1. Drive another identical vehicle and see if its better, worst, or the same?
  2. Swerve aggressive but safe when the noise is bad to see if it comes and goes which would indicate a tire tread design source.
  3. Use painters tape and cover all the door seams then go for another drive to see if the noise is less. If so then remove sections of tape and retest till you find the source of the noise, like a bad door seal.
  4. Other possible areas for wind noise are the cowl panel, wipers, and mirrors.

This is not an easy process for car owners nor for technicians.

If you're confused on what to do now or later. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do we need to have a sound meter with us?

We have a sound meter at my dealership. I honestly do not like it or the results I get from it. The results are to often to hard to pinpoint. You can get one if you choose but the human ear at least to me is the best meter.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris