Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 05 tundra, the abs light just started going on

Customer Question

Hello, i have a 05 tundra, the abs light just started going on after i start the truck, fluid is fine and i see no leaks, brakes are fine..any ideas
JA: What color is the fluid? What part of the car is the leak coming from?
Customer: i dont see any leaks
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2005 tundra
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i would like to fix it, and i have not done anything seeing it just started
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, I know this may not be the answer you were expecting, however, it is the correct one- there is no simple, "it's this..." answer to why your ABS light is on. When the ABS light is on, this is a problem in the Anti-Lock braking system. A common fail item associated with this, is a faulty Wheel Speed Sensor (aka ABS Sensor). However, on this vehicle, there are 4 of them- 1 at each wheel. This can also be a problem in any of the dozens of parts/sensors in the ABS system. The only way to find out where the problem lies, is to have the Diagnostic Trouble Codes read from the on-board computer. These codes will serve as the starting point for the diagnosis, and will point to the faulty part/sensor. Once you have the codes you can make a more accurate and efficient repair. Some local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, can read these codes, and will do so for FREE (except in California). If you cannot find a location that has the appropriate scan-tool to read ABS codes, you will need to have a shop retrieve the codes. In the meantime, the best place to start is by inspecting the electrical connectors and wire harnesses to the Wheel Speed Sensors for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Make sure is no build-up or debris between the sensor and the pulse ring it reads below. Again, I'm sorry there is no 1-answer, "it's this..." but unfortunately, there isn't a mechanic on the planet that can look at the light, and know why it is on. Every mechanic's first step will be to retrieve those codes. It's just the order of diagnostic flow. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

If you'd like location images of the wheel speed sensors, or an electrical diagram or have any other questions... please feel free to ask. Again, my apologies that there is no simple answer here.