Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Can smell gasoline even after it was not driven day, 88

Customer Question

can smell gasoline even after it was not driven for a day
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 88 toyota pickup 22r I bought it new in 88
JA: What year is your Pickup?
Customer: 88
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I do 90 % of repairs....Just looked at gas cap and opened hood to check for fuel leak at carb.
JA: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I would be looking for a hairline crack at the fuel tank where the fuel leaves the tank. This is a VERY common failure on truck of this model year. You may need to replace the unit that bolts to the top of the fuel tank if this is indeed the problem.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will check it out and get back to you , might not be until wed. tks

Ok. Please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just looked ,where the gas fill tube/pipe bolts to inside of body frame not sure but it looks like the gasket(28 years old) might have a gap, not sure if thats normal..never looked there before
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think I should disconnect it and check if gasket is bad?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can I send a pic of it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
oh I see where to add a file..i will take a pic and send it to you..be back in a few ..tks

I would look for wetness and odor before taking it apart. it is rare the gasket is bad...most often, the metal line crack.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
oh ok I will try to look at it with a small mirror used for inspection

ok. Also, since this is a Carb engine, look closely at the fuel pump on the side of the engine. The diaphragm may be leaking.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I will look closer at that, I replaced it approx. ten years ago. Im going to need to clean the rubber tube from gas fill spout down to tank,, very dusty can't see clearly as is

Ok. Also look at the small hose from the tank to the metal fill tube. This might be your problem too.

I will check back to see what your finding s are tomorrow

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
here is a couple pics of pic of the gasket at the fill spout. Cleaned off tube from fill down..so far no luck. Cleaned around the manual fuel pump on front of block . ..don't see anything. will check back wed. tks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
far I can't seem to locate a crack or moisture from gasoline at any of these locations, here's a question, how long does the seal last on a gas cap? When I unscrew it you can here the pressure release, the rubber seal seems ok, not soft but has a little give to it.i only have the one vehicle running at this time and I need to correct this safety issue asap.

If you hear pressure release when the cap is removed, the seal on the cap is good. Look further at the lines on the charcoal canister on the passenger side of the engine, and the canister itself for gasoline odor