Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My 2005 tundra instrument cluster stays on when key is out

Customer Question

My 2005 tundra instrument cluster stays on when key is out of the ignition. Any suggestions?
JA: Any trouble turning the key in the ignition? Do you have a key fob?
Customer: No problems with key in ignition. Yes I have a key fob.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to fix myself. I have cleaned battery terminals, checked all fuses, and searched for worn thru wires.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I think it may be the instrument cluster because that is where the problem is isolated.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If the cluster lights are staying on, you have one of two common problems.

1) Faulty ignition swithc (this is what the key cylinder turns on and off; the switch part may be shorting out internally)

2) Faulty 'integration relay' (commonly referred to as the body computer; this is a unit that attaches to the fuse panel under the dash. If you have ever had water on the driver side floor, your integration relay is bad; water kills the integration relay; it is not waterproof.

To diagnose this, remove the wire connector form the back of the ignition . If the lights go out, the switch is bad. If not, the integration relay is most likely the issue.

I doubt highly what the cluster is the issue as it receives voltage from the switch and the integration relay; it does not have any direct source of power.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the info...I did unplug the two small wire harnesses from the back of the ignition and the cluster stayed on. I am guessing it's the integration relay. If that doesn't work, any other suggestions? Bad ground wire for battery to chassis? Bad battery? Etc?

Doubt highly it is anything to do with the battery or grounds. My experience is integration relay and switch.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your help friend!

You are very welcome. Glad to help. Thanks for choosing Just Answer. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you tell me what the integration relay looks like? Is it the white block up behind the fuse box?? The one with purple/green and blue wires coming out of it in the pictures?

You need to remove the fuse panel to see the integration relay; it mounts to the rear of the fuse panel.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here are some pics of the back of the fuse box. Recommend a relay? There's TAIL, BK/UP LP, ACC, PWR MAIN, FOG. I'm guessing power main?

The integration relay is a square flat box. It is not really a 'relay', it 'relays' power.