Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 32 years, diagnostic/repair / electrical specialist
13677702

My 2000 toyota Avalon's horn doesn't work. Mechanic said I

Customer Question

My 2000 toyota Avalon's horn doesn't work. Mechanic said I need to replace the whole driver's air bag for about a $1000 since the horn is integrated into it!! Is there a simpler solution so I can get the car to pass the safety inspection?
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: The last year or so. It has 134,000 miles.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I don't really have the experience, tools, etc., but I have an acquaintance who is mechanically minded and might do it if there's an easier solution. I just came back from taking it in to a shop where I was told the above.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The horn would work occasionally when it was colder, drier out, but in hot, humid weather it doesn't. I asked the guy to check the fuses (and it's a shop I semi-trust), but he insists I need the whole new (or Used) air bag.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I fully understand the question as well as what you have been told, Your horn button is failing. It is built into the airbag. With age and temps etc , temps cause expansion / contraction and the airbag is exposed to sun its whole life so when it gest old? the vynil swells /contracts and then causes the horn contacts to fail inside, Many times we get customers with horns going off in middle of night when temps drop to cool temps. I have to reconfirm,. You need an airbag, OR a used airbag , no way around this. The other options? remote horn button on the dash Or.. and not to sound rude? we have customers in need of inpection and take a chance that they can use the horn during inspection. . Now,, the color of the airbag obviously makes a difference due to what color your inside is, New? they do in fact run about $950. I see used on Ebay etc for less but they still are expensive. I wish it was a fuse but, if fuse? it would stop blowing all together , not work on/off, You have a bad airbag, remote horn button? we can do this in my State as we drive through an inspection station, Other states a tech does the inspect and if that is how yours is? then you can not do remote button on dash, At this point you have few choices, Used, New are about it but I promise the shop is telling you correct, It is all about design

I see a good many On Ebay for under $75. now, it may not match your interior color