sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 2005 Prius. The brake light on the passenger side

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Prius. The brake light on the passenger side has gone dim. 4 of the LEDs are on (dimly) and 2 off. Suggestions?
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? Have you checked the brake pads?
Customer: When you press the brake is when the issue occurs.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I would like to fix myself.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A poor power feed could potentially cause a light to be dim but in the case of LED lights they draw little current and wouldn't be affected as much as an incandescent bulb when there is some voltage drop on the circuit. The fact that you have some lights that work and some lights that don't does point to an internal failure in the lamp assembly though. Dim lights are usually caused by an internal failure in the assembly and the fact that some lights do work and some do not indicates definite internal failure, the affected tail lamp assembly will need to be replaced.