rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

2008 Sienna. Replaced the alternator and 2 batteries in last

Customer Question

2008 Sienna. Replaced the alternator and 2 batteries in last month and still battery is dead dash lights go dark lights flicker then dies. charge second new battery and all works well for short time then dies again. dont see any dome lights on and turn lights off on stearring column. any suggestions? Can't use it if continues to be an issue
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: 2 batteries both new. went ahead and replaced first new battery thinking could be issue as just got new alternator. dash gauges all work well when have power.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No was going to take to a shop so they can run test on current flow. first brought it in as door lock would not work for driver side. Says new actuator would cost 4-$500 to replace so I said no thank you. Pulling out of parking lot when dash went black so pulled back in and said alternator bad so replaced. Also having issues with front left headlight and replaced as would work then go dead. Jiggle connector then would work.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though, please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

It sounds like you have a drain in the electrical system somewhere that's causing this. I attached a bullet proof way to find and fix that for you too.

Thanks, Ron