Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2009 Toyota Matrix (the one like the 2010) base. Both rear

Customer Question

2009 Toyota Matrix (the one like the 2010) base. Both rear door locks failed together. They will not open or close with the remote or with the key lock, which is only in the drivers door. The two front doors and the hatch work fine. The door open switches in the door jams appear to work in that they light the door open light on the dash. There is no clicking noise coming from the rear doors when I attempt to open them. Only locking them with the door lock switch on the inside works. I can only find one fuse for door locks. The safety switch in the door jams is in the correct position.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds vey much like your door lock solenoids may be faulty. The only way to determine this would be to remove both rear door panels and apply a test light to the wire connector on the door lock solenoid. If the light illuminates with the doors set to lock and then unlock (on the other wire if the two in the connector), the power present in the wires indicates the lock solenoids need to be replaced. This would not be uncommon.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Both doors worked on Sunday. Both doors don't work on Monday. I have a hard time believing that they would both fail at the same time.

As long as the other doors are working, the fuse and the switch unit should be OK. Try this before anything: Have someone assist you. Have them cycle theo lock button lock/unlock repeatedly. Take a rubber mallet (or fist if you are strong enough),

and then smack the door panel hard (but not hard enough to damage it). The jarring may loosen a stuck solenoid connection inside the unit. I have had some success in doing this trick. However, if it does work, this still means you will need solenoids in the future.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Same issue, they failed at the same time. Also, I have had others fail and I would get a clicking sound or one might open but not lock. I'm not saying that that all failures would make a clicking sound but I am saying that two of these failing overnight in my garage doesn't sound normal.

Agreed. A dual failure like this would be rare, but not impossible. The wires on each door are on separate harnesses. I highly doubt you have a wire fault on both sides of the car. However, if the solenoid is seized, it will not click. Based on experience, I am inclined to think you have a couple stuck solenoids.