Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

My 08 Toyota tundra I am getting a P0014 and P0012 code. My

Customer Question

My 08 Toyota tundra I am getting a P0014 and P0012 code. My Tundra has 196K miles on it.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: P0014 and P0012 are the codes for timing too advanced and to retarded. The check engine light will reset and the truck seems to run fine
JA: What year is your Tundra?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't done anything, any suggestion and I don't feel qualified to do it myself.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: This light has come on once before.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for posting

The codes are for the variable valve timing on bank one, this is the cylinder head on the driver's side, there are several conditions that can cause this, a sticking or malfunctioning vvt oil control valve, camshaft vvti gear or oil that is so contaminated that it causes the vvti valve to get clogged up or a loss of oil pressure to the OCV , have you checked the oil is it clean? If the oil seems in good condition the problem is most likely a bad vvt oil control valve but before replacing an expensive part it would be wise to test it, the best way and the most reliable is to connect an intelligent tester that can activate the valve while the engine is running, if this passes the test then there is another problem, possibly a bad cam actuator gear, most repair shops should be able to test the vvti system or the dealer may be your best bet to get a decent diagnosis on this then proceed according to their recommendations.