Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have 2002 toyota saquioa 4WD. My ignition coils have been

Customer Question

i have 2002 toyota saquioa 4WD. My ignition coils have been going out one at a time. I drove too much on the last one before I could replace it. it was still running when i pulled over but would not start back up. I replaced the coil and it still wont start up, its is turning over however.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for posting

Did you have any diagnostic codes before replacing the coil? One coil going out usually doesn't cause a complete no start condition.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not 100% sure but it had cylinder 7 and 8 misfires, but 7 was the last coil i replaced and i have noticed that code will stay on there if you dont get it cleared.

Yes, this is true, misfire codes will stay there and the light will stay on until the codes are cleared, you can do that by disconnecting the negative battery terminal.

Does the engine do anything when trying to start? Any sputtering, backfiring, start up and die right away?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no, it just keeps turning over and trying to start

Does the engine seem to turn over normally like it has compression or faster than normal.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i think it sounds normal

I would really like to see some diagnostic codes to have any idea where to go with this would you be able to do this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
as far as i know i have to get it to the parts store for them to read it, and i dont have anyway to get it there, but ill see if i can borrow one or something.

I think te parts stores will loan one to you fro a small fee. You may also consider just buying a basic reader to have for future use, you can get them for about $40 or so.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok i will work on it

Sounds good, just reply when you're ready.