Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I'm having problems deactivating the keyless entry system on

Customer Question

I'm having problems deactivating the keyless entry system on a 2011 Toyota Venza. I've gone through all of the recommendations in the manual, and am unable to start the vehicle, your help and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
JA: Have you checked the battery in the fob? Will the car open with another remote?
Customer: I don't know how to check the power on the battery, since it's a flat battery, we are using a back up fob to see if that works.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, Just the information provided in the manual. The local Toyota dealership is closed today.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Clearly, the vehicle is making all kinds of weird noises when we try to start it, I don't know if it's because this is the anti-lock mechanism or it needs servicing.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Venza.

Is this the Smart Key system or does it start with a normal style key inserted into an ignition switch?