Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

My car died while idling the other day. Lights and a.c.

Customer Question

My car died while idling the other day. Lights and a.c. still worked so I knew the battery worked. I took it to autozone where they said after testing it that all was ok... 100% charge. So the engine tried to turnover, ruling out a starter and since the battery was holding charge, potentially ruling out alternator. I changed fuel pump today, and everything works, but engine still wouldn't idle on its own, and sounded rough. Lights and everything still work, but not able to start the car up and go anywhere with it.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for posting,

While the engine is running does the check engine light stay on
Other than the idle can you rev the engine up at all or does it stall when doing so?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I am able to get my car started, I have to review it up to keep it running. The rpms drop too quickly and end result is a stall. Check engine light comes on while trying to review the engine, and it's honestly a first seeing it. I'm a lube tech at Performance Toyota, but so far, everyone has pointed to the alternator, starter, or fuel pump. I just dropped some oil in the vehicle, in hopes that I can get it to the shop soon to do a basic oil change. Outside of that, I'm stymied.

Thanks for getting back to me, I think the first thing I would do here is to get diagnostic codes that may be in the computer, so far it doesn't sound like an alternator problem to me, since you are working at the dealer there should be no problem connecting laptop and checking what the codes are, if you don't want to wait to get back to the dealer most part stores will loan you their code reader unless you have one yourself but this is where I would start, the light is on for a reason and may very well be related to the way it's running. Another thing that kind of comes to mind for me is that the timing belt may have slipped on the pulleys so this may have to be checked as well, depending on what code information you are getting.

I noticed that youm mentioned that you added some oil, was it low, is there any noise when running?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Typically, when I start it, it stalls at 1000rpm. Once in a while, I can get it started with an assist on the accelerator, but it will not idle, but stalls out. Sounded pretty cruddy when I managed to get it started lastnight.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It also stalls when I try throwing it in gear
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But regardless, I can't move the vehicle.

How many miles are on it?

How long have you owned it?

Do you know if the timing belt has been replaced and if so when?

Does the engine have a distributor or two externally mounted coils?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Timing belt has been replaced and whomever did it was nice enough to leave a time/date. It has over 300000 miles on it, no distributor. Not certain about twocoils... can't check now. Had since May

Thanks, ***** ***** me the miles when the belt was replaced.

Have you checked or replaced the fuel filter?

Is there a way you can borrow a code reader so we can check for codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm working on that.

Ok, sounds good let me now how it goes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The timing belt was replaced at 191690 on the odometer. Current odometer reading is 236914.

It's a little over the mileage that it should be replaced which is every 90,000 miles.

hello, I'm just following up from my last reply, pleae let me know when you are able to aquire a code reader and let me know if you need more help figuring the problem out.