Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

I have a 95 4Runner and when I set the cruise it will work

Customer Question

I have a 95 4Runner and when I set the cruise it will work for awhile and then all the sudden disengage and the light will start flashing
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: What year is your 4Runner?
Customer: 1995
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried adjusting clutch switch
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for posting

When this happens do any other warning lights on the dash turn on? Especially the brake warning or check engine light?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Ok, there is probably a diagnostic code in the cruise control computer, we need to check for this, I'll see if there is a way to do this without going to a repair shop using the check connector under the hood, this is going to take a little while, I'll get back to you soon.

Is it a V6 or 4 cylinder engine? 5 speed manual is this correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
V6 manual
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I do the jumper wire in the diagnostic port to read the codes nothing comes up if that is what you are asking me to do

This is a test to check for diagnostic codes using the check connector under the hood, connect a jumper wire as shown in the diagram with the key on, the cruise control light will start to flash a pattern of two numbers, this will be the code, there may be more tan one so please read carefully, then et me know what ou find and I can help with finding t problem and what should be done to correct it.