Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 2006 Toyota Avalon the check engine and vs. light

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Toyota Avalon the check engine and vs. light came on. When I was stopping at a light the car started running rough and I was afraid that when the light changed that it would stall. Had it hooked up and it said that all cylinders misfired.n what would cause this?
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: Originally the engine light was solid. When it was running rough at the light the engine light was flashing. Take off seemed to have hesitation
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to fix myself. Haven't done anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Did
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: had full gas tank, made sure gas cap was tight
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

From what you are describing here, it sounds like you have a P0300-Random Cylinder Misfire. There are a few different things that can cause this. This can be the case of worn spark plugs, faulty ignition coils, clogged or faulty fuel injectors, an intake air leak, low cylinder compression, etc. Given the year of the vehicle, the best place to start here is with the spark plugs and coils. Remove the spark plugs and inspect them for any signs of cracks in the body and/or worn diodes. If there is any doubt, replace the spark plugs. If the plugs check ok, the coils will need to be tested to make sure they are sending spark to the plugs. If the coils check ok, then the injectors will need to be checked, an intake air leak test done, and ultimately, cylinder compression. Like I say though, more commonly plugs, coils or injectors. These engines aren't well-known for cylinder problems or intake leaks. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I thought I'd check in and see how you made out? Were there any other questions you had on this issue? Any other information I can provide? If you have no further questions, please take a second to use the "stars" at the top of the page and leave a rating for our Q&A! Thank-you!