sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

On a Toyota Avensis 2.2 D4D 2008 Left front brake caliper -

Customer Question

On a Toyota Avensis 2.2 D4D 2008 Left front brake caliper - the upper slider pin is not round but flattened on two sides but when inserting it it can be freely turned - why the flattened sides
JA: What is the model of your '08 Toyota?
Customer: 9I have a rattle in this caliper at slow speeds)
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: 2.2 litre D4D
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Cleaning the sliders and reassembling Rattle is gone for a short while then returns
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hi I'm Kevin have brake pads been replaced recently ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Some while ago already. I bought the car second hand. Have had it now for five years. I noticed on the last owners Invoice that he had complained about the front suspension. The Garage had simply tightened the suspension. They suggested I change the Shockabsorbers. I did but the rattle persisted. They have given me poor advice before. I personally have now isolated the problem to the front left caliper. Brakes work fine. Wrong grease was put into the sliders. The lower sliders rubber a bit swollen. I
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I noticed that the upper slider has two slightly flattened sides which indicate to me that it should be replaced in a particular manner but when you have put it in it easily can be turned which indicates the flattened area seems to serve no purpose. My own cobclusion is that the sliders need to be replaced or perhaps the entire caliper unit.
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

I dont have a picture of fitting location so il opt out im sure your on the right track but cannot confirm

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like you're describing the flats on the pin that just allow you something to grab with a tool to prevent the pin from turning when tightening the caliper bolts.

Are you able to upload a picture showing what you're concerned with?