sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2002 sequoia. Error code p1126, check engine light on, vsc

Customer Question

2002 sequoia. Error code p1126, check engine light on, vsc light on. Cleaned throttle body, still getting code. Help?
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: It's a magnetic clutch control code on the throttle body. 185k.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Cleaned throttle body
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Is there a human over there?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

You might have a bad throttle body motor at this point.

If you got it clean and the code came right back on then the motor in the throttle body is likely binding or faulty.

If you turn the key to the run position, but don't start the engine press the gas pedal all the way down and back up a few times while listening to the throttle body motor. If it makes any screeching, grinding or loud noise at all it is probably faulty.-You will need a helper to do this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can i just operate the throttle on the end of the body myself with the key on? The round thing the cable moves? Or is there some reason it has to be through the pedal?
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

You have the 4.7l engine right?

I suppose you could twist it at the cable. This model doesn't rely on the pedal position sensor to move the throttle body.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have two of these '02 sequoias. Let me see if the bad one sounds any different than the good one. Are you a Toyota mechanic or a general mechanic?
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

I'm a general mechanic. I've worked on just about everything over the last 20 years.

I can opt out and see if a Toyota tech picks up the question if you prefer.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Also, with the key off, push the throttle plate open with your finger and allow it to close. The throttle plate should open and close smoothly.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

If you have a multi-meter or lab scope you can test for a good wave signal at the throttle control motor. Check to see if the computer is supplying the clutch circuit with a 12 volt square wave pulse signal.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Jared - I'm sorry, but I think I need a dedicated Toyota mechanic. This is a common problem on these trucks - maybe they've faced it first-hand. So sorry...
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

I've faced it first hand as well, four times. 2 land cruisers (replaced throttle body), one sequoia (cleaned throttle body), and one tundra (green wire from the ECM to the mag clutch had pulled out of the connector).

I'll go ahead and opt out. If no one else picks it up and you would still like help please let me know.

Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

toyota tech here here is the discription and causes of the code . when we see this code its usually throttle body time, we replace it and you may be able to find a used one at big savings as supposed to a toyota dealership at www.car-part.com

Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

is there anything else i can help you with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
John, please opt out. I need more than just "replace throttle body". Especially when it sounds and operates just like the one on my other '02 sequoia.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This is either going to be the throttle body or a wiring issue between the throttle body and ECM. Has the wiring been tested?