Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

Stolen ECM on 2010 fj cruiser. Can I replaced with another

Customer Question

stolen ECM on 2010 fj cruiser. Can I replaced with another used ECM? I heard it may not work even if I program it to my vechicle specs. Please help
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: hello
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: stolen ECM on 2010 fj cruiser. Can I replaced with another used ECM? I heard it may not work even if I program it to my vechicle specs. Please help
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: that is it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

What you have heard is correct, replacing it with a used one even after programming may not work do to a conflict with the existing software. You are best served to replace the ECM with a factory re-manufactured unit or even a new one.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, so I bought this 2010 FJ cruiser from an auction. it seemed fine but when I received it, it was missing the ECM and a section of UNICHIP as well as the 4wd control ECU (next to the ECM, RH side of dashboard). I found several used ECMs from scrap yards that matches the one that is supposed to fit in my vehicle (89661-35F71) but I have received comments from untrustworthy sources about this swap wont work even after reprogramming the used ECM. Some other say it will as long as I replace the theft locking module. And some others say it will work fine but I just need to reprogram keys with my local locksmith...Need a professional from toyota to clarify this....
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

I Have tried doing this and had poor results which is true in most cases but if you would like a second opinion I can open it back up.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please I would like to have more input on this before I keep investing on this vehicle. because even if I buy it new I still need to take it to the dealer to be programmed correct? and to me that is paying for towing services, time etc.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Yes a new unit will require dealer programming for sure. Ill open the post back up for you .