rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

2000 Avalon knock sensor codes kick on around 60mph. checked

Customer Question

2000 Avalon knock sensor codes kick on around 60mph. checked knock sensor frequency and it is at 7.4mhz
JA: Have you scanned the code? Have you tried to reset it?
Customer: yes will reset and stay out until you get to 60 mph
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the timing chain broke and all was replaced buy a dealer, and the knock sensors and harness was replaced also
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though,Please understand that I don't know your skilllevel or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger

If the KNOCK sensor is indeed good, then t\either the computer is bad, OR the sensor is detecting another noise in the engine that is causing it to react like that.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The knock sensors are sending out 7.4Mhz monitored at the ecm using an O'scope. One sensor is half the voltage as the other.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The information I have is the sensors should be kicking out 7.1Khz at 4000 rpms,
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

The sensor needs to be scoped.

See attachment.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.