Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years

I can be pumping the pedal and I have ok pressure or so

Customer Question

I can be pumping the pedal and I have ok pressure for 10 or so pumps and at random than the pedal goes to the floor. master has been replaced twice booster once and the load level valve once. the only thing that has not been replace is the abs module. Thanks Al
JA: Have you checked the fluids? Have the brakes been shaking or squeaking?
Customer: fluid is all new no brake shaking or squeaking
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2004 Tundra
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i would like to repair it myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I cannot get the abs to activate under any condition hard braking or in sand
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

I'd double check all the unions for tightness on all the joints.
Also I'd use a pressure bleeder such as Easibleed to push fluid through to each corner first then use the two person method below to bleed the brakes.

I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times then holds it down then you crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.

Repeat this a few times on all calipers and start with the caliper furthest away from the master cylinder.

If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line is ballooning under pressure, this can't always be seen from the outside so to test this use a hose clamp on each line in turn to close off then lines one at time . Push the pedal in between and see if you can feel any difference as each line is closed off.

if this doesn't help then its possible that you need to run the ABS pump to move any trapped air inside

the dealer method is to use the diagnostic tool to cycle the ABS during bleeding

however I've had good results buy just taking the car for short drive and stamping on the pedal at low speed to lock the brakes and trigger the ABS

and then re-bleed

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cannot get the abs to activate
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

OK in that case 1st check that the ABS fuse in the underhood fusebox has 12V with the ignition on if it does then I'd get the dealer to run the ABS diagnostic

sadly most small garages will be unable to do this so it will need a strip the dealer

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
bleed all brakes again with pressure bleeder same problem
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

OK this really sounds like you have air trapped in the ABS module to me

I'd contact your local dealer and ask to have the ABS module cycled via their diagnostic machine

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you