sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I can not get any brake pedal. Not much pressure at the

Customer Question

I can not get any brake pedal. Not much pressure at the front brakes.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Any other brake work besides the master cylinder?

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder?

Does it have ABS brakes?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
New pads and rotors on front. Two new lines down the frame. Yes it was bench bled. No abs
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Ok, were they complete line replacements or did you cut out old sections and install a new section with compression fittings, or install with union fittings?

Are you getting solid fluid at the wheels or still getting air bubbles in the fluid?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Complete line. The pedal doesn't go down when I bleed front brakes, but does on back brakes.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not getting much air.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Ok, if you loosen the brake hose at the brake line connections for the front brakes, will the brake pedal go down - if you havent tried this, do this now. If it does, tighten the line and then loose the hose at the caliper and see if the brake pedal will go down. It it doesnt, then the hoses have collapsed or have trash in them. If it does, then you have narrowed it to the calipers - make sure that the caliper bleeder screws are clogged up with trash. Remove them all the way and see if the pedal goes down. If it does, replace the bleeder screws. If not then its the calipers - hardware/slides sticking, pads cocked at an angle, or caliper pistons cocked at an angle

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I loosened the line at the y above the hose, no fluid out of the y.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Ok, pull the master cylinder off the booster enough to see if the pushrod is cocked and reseat in in the master and rebolt master cylinder and see if you start getting fluid out of the fronts.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pedal doesn't go down either.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

check that pushrod for being centered inside the rear of the master cylinder

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Everything in master cylinder and booster appear to be working right
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I pump pedal with line off at y, fluid squirts out, but nothing when I just hold pedal down.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am going to try replacing the rubber hoses. I'm not sure that is the problem since there was no pressure at the y above them. The calipers compressed easily when I changed the front brakes. So I don't think that's it.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Sorry, lost internet due to storm.

When you say Y, are you referring to the proportioning valve?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Idk. It's where the lines branch off and some go toward the rear, some go to the front.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I replaced both front brake hoses last night and got brakes to the passenger side. Passenger side hose was completely clogged. I replaced driver side caliper today, and now have brakes all the way around. I still don't think the pedal is pumping up like it should, though. Any suggestions?

Can you look at the caliper bleeder screws in relation to the brake hose banjo bolts and see if the bleeders are above or below them?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Bleeders are above

Have you driven it to see if the brakes actually feel poor now? I've seen many cases where someone thought a pedal was soft while sitting on a hoist but it was actually normal.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah. They will lock up on black top. They just feel spongy, you can push them to the floor.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My neighbor also has a tacoma, and he said they don't feel like his.

What was the original problem and the original repair?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just bought the truck. It had two brake lines rusted into, and I thought that was why I had no pedal.

Where did the master cylinder come from?