Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

We just spent $111.00 on a a/c amplifier cause the relay

Customer Question

We just spent $111.00 on a a/c amplifier cause the relay tested good. Plugged it in and no luck. A/C light still flashing on dash. Compressor kicks in momentarily then quits and a/c light starts flashing. 2007 Sport Tacoma
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 115000 miles and starts like a champ.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked Freon charge good, relay tested good, new amplifier still have problem. Can the RPM sensor on the compressor clutch be changed? Yes on hoping to fix ourselves
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not right now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The flashing AC light indicates that the RPM sensor on the compressor is not sending the proper RPM signal to the amplifier. This is either a bad RPM sensor or something inside the compressor is not allowing the RPM sensor to read the speed of the compressor shaft. Some RPM sensors can be changed, others require replacement of the compressor. If you take your 17 digit vehicle identification number to a Toyota dealer parts dept, they can look up your equipment and tell you if you have the replaceable RPM sensor. If it can be replaced, I would recommend you do this before anything else. If the light continues to flash with a new RPM sensor, you may want to consider replacement of the compressor unit.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Thanks