Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

I just changed the alternator on a 2003 toyota v6 camry. It

Customer Question

I just changed the alternator on a 2003 toyota v6 camry. It is now stalling at the lights what could be the issue?
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: No on the check engine light just battery light.SpWh
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: When driving
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Fix it myself
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: We haven't tried anything
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting here

The stalling is most likely caused by a throttle body that has too much carbon built up in it, i assume that the battery was disconnected when replacing the alternator as I should be, this can cause a stalling problem because the computer will set the throttle plate to the factory default setting, the carbon deposits in the throttle body prevent this from happening so a stalling condition is the result.

The remedy is to remove the air intake hose from the throttle body then open the throttle plate and clean the carbon deposits out using a can of spray air intake/ throttle body cleaner and a stiff brush (an old toothbrush works well) make sure the battery is disconnected before starting the cleaning, after the carbon is cleaned out reconnect the battery, start the engine, rev it up to blow all that stuff out the exhaust and drive it for about 15 minutes or so, this should take care of the stalling.