Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I have a Rav 4 that has a stiff power steering wheel, Yes it

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have a Rav 4 that has a stiff power steering wheel
JA: Have you checked the power steering fluid? Will the wheel turn at all?
Customer: Yes it turns but I feel like I am working out lol. There was some noise before and it turned fine.
JA: What year is your RAV4?
Customer: It is a 2002 or 1
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I put some fluid before but the noise persists
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Everything else is fine on it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

If you have a leak in the power steering system, you will draw air in. This will make the pump unable to build pressure, causing noise and the steering to be hard to turn. Check the lines and rack for leaks. If no leaks are found replace the power steering pump.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. Please rate the answer, it would be appreciated.

Thanks Dan