Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years

How do I replace a reverse light switch in a 1992 Toyota

Customer Question

How do I replace a reverse light switch in a 1992 Toyota Celica ST 1.6L engine Automatic transmission. The reverse lights (both) don't work. They were replaced but still not working. The fuse is ok and other equipment on it work. I assume switch. Other troubleshooting I should try first?
JA: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?
Customer: automatic trans, no.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, just need to know the location of the reverse switch
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

the switch is top of the Transaxle

It just unscrews.If there no power at the switch than you need to test more,But if you have 12v with the ignition on then fit a jumper wire across the two wires at the switch and put it in rev with the key on.
If the lights come on you need a switch.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've looked for the past 2 days and I do not see anything connected to the transaxel on top, could it be in another location?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

ok an alternative position is on the front of the transmission where your cable hooks up next to the tranny lines.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, I see a 2 wire connector on the bottom corner next to the neutral switch, would that be the guy I'm looking for?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

that sounds right - try checking if it has 12V as mentioned

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.