Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years

Washed my 1993 land cruisers engine and now I have

Customer Question

washed my 1993 land cruisers engine and now I have acceleration problems. What to do?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

its very likely that you have gotten water into the back of one of the engine sensors

so I'd remove each connector in turn and use some compressed air ,( or a foot pump) to blast air into each and remove any trace of water - using some switch or contact cleaner will also help clean things up

if this doesn't help then I'd start by checking for a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What about water in the Cap & Rotor?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

thats also a good idea

remove that and check inside

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was a water issue. Thank you. I could have saved $22. But thank you anyway.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

glad you got it sorted

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you