sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Smart key avalon got washed. Dried it out. Car started

Customer Question

Smart key for 2005 avalon got washed. Dried it out. Car started yesterday however would not today. Both days warning symbol that smart key not present came on. Anything I can do
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: NO engine does not turn over, not sure about age of battery. My husband handles all that and he is out of town on business
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to , have replaced battery in key to no avail
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: xThat is it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's rare that a key or fob will survive being washed and since this happened almost directly after washing the key the problem is almost surely the key itself. It's very unlikely that a failure on the vehicle would have arose at the same time.

The key is almost surely going to need to be replaced. Do you have a second key to see if it will start with that one?