sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 2005 Toyota Prius and when it rains the cars dash

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Toyota Prius and when it rains the cars dash will not work and the car will not shut off.
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: We just bought it and was not told of any problems it has 290000 but it only happens when it rains like its getting wet
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We are going to go get the windshield check to see if it's leaking and causeing it short but as soon as it dries it's fine
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Besides that the car runs fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I would recommend attempting repairs on a hybrid vehicle only if you are trained and have the necessary safety equipment.

The problem is most likely wiring or an internal issue in a fuse box. Water intrusion will cause voltage to bleed between different circuits and can cause the symptoms you're having.

Do you have to drive the car before the symptoms appear or can it be raining with the car parked, you try to drive it and the condition is present?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It happens when the car is parked and it has rained hard when you get in the dash dosent work and the car won't shut off it dosent do it if you are driving in the rain

Did the problem start after an accident or any work was done?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We just bought the car from an individual so we don't know as far as we know it hasn't been in an accident

Do you have a scan tool?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No but I had someone put one on it and he said nothing showed up
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no lights on or anything and if we cover the windshield when it rains it dosent do it. We live in Florida it rains almost everyday right now . I have an appointment to get the windshield checked Thursday.

Are you seeing water inside the car?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Floor was dam but not a lot

If there was water inside the car after a rain then that is likely related. It would take some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to know exactly what is going on but if there is water making it's way into the dash then that's most likely the root cause. The source of the leak should definitely be found and repaired as a first step.