Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics

2011 Sienna XLE fan gets very loud sometimes, like the fan

Customer Question

2011 Sienna XLE fan gets very loud sometimes, like the fan blade is scraping metal. Quiets down if I turn it to maximum for 20 seconds and then back down. What the heck is it?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'll fix it myself if I can. Have not tried anything. Since warmer weather it has not been a problem, just runs a bit louder than it used to.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just got ripped off didn't I? Good-bye
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

From what you are describing here, it sounds like the bearings internal of the blower motor are failing. The blower motor is accessed from under the passenger's side dash. Remove the blower motor and inspect for any sort of debris that may be touching the fan blades. If the visual inspection checks ok, you may be able to spray some WD-40 inside and lube the bearings. If this helps but does not solve the problem, replace the blower motor. I've wrapped up a small PDF file that should help with the location of removal of the blower motor. Download the PDF file here:

If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Did you get the PDF file? Please don't think we're "ripping you off". It takes a few minutes to type a reply and compile the PDF file.