carguy1, auto technician
Experience:  25 Years experience all makes and models.Nissan factory trained,Certified Subaru Tech

My mechanic repaired/aligned the driver's side power window

Customer Question

My mechanic repaired/aligned the driver's side power window (2010 Highlander Limited) by tightening bolts in the door panel. He originally thought that the regulator/motor might need to be replaced, but, after inspection he determined it was all fine and all he had to do is tighten the bolts and I believe replace one. The window works fine now (power window was struggling to rise or lower). However, now the locking and opening using the handle (sensor or button) doesn't work at all - I must use the key FOB to lock and unlock the passenger side door. (The door handle on the passenger side does work correctly without having to use the FOB.) Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
JA: Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: No I have not...since the other door works perfectly, I assumed it wouldn't be a fuse. Unless they have separate fuses??
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I do not intend to fix this myself. My mechanic says he will get back to me, but, warned me that the clips could be compromised the more the panel comes off. I called Toyota and they think he might have crimped a wire, but, my guy says he does't think so - and, that it could be a software adjustment that only Toyota can perform.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I followed all the manual adjustments on screen for getting various doors to open but, nothing was able to get the driver's side to recognize by hand.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  carguy1 replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Based on what you are saying here, it sounds more like he may have left something unplugged by mistake or possible that he did crimp a wire. I know sometimes also that the wiring to the sensors on the door handle can be disturbed as well. Sometimes there is corrosion in there and the wires getting bumped can cause some issues. He needs to pull the door panel and check the wires for a problem. Since it worked before he was in there, it's a fair bet it's something he did by mistake. We've all been there once or twice!

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!