Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

I have broken the shifter arm 02 Tundra at the base. I took

Customer Question

I have broken the shifter arm for my 02 Tundra at the base. I took off the plastic housing for the steering column and can see the broken aluminum bracket. I was not parked at home when this happened. I used a screwdriver to put the truck in gear and drove home. I now cannot get my key out of the ignition, even though it's in park (though I could when this first happened).What is the feasibility of doing the repair myself, how can I get the key out of the ignition, and am I doing any harm by getting by shifting with a screwdriver?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You should be able to get the key out by moving the tumbler and pushing a pin in the lock cylinder.

Looks like you are going to have to replace the entire steering column. Once you start replacing the column you should be able to get the key out.

This is not that hard of a job to do, if you are handy and have some tools.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have?

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dan,I am pretty handy, and do have a good amount of tools; but I need to drive today; probably would like to put off the repair until the weekend. Any Idea about getting the key out without disassembling the column? Also, am I hurting anything by shifting with a screwdriver?Also, when you say "replace the entire steering column", can you give me a part number(s)? I was hoping to get by with just replacing the broken bracket (is this it?: )Thank you for your help!Mark
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

That corner piece that is broken off in your picture looks like the housing for the steering column. I dont know it that part you found is the same.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You might be able to get that upper housing separately

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Now that I look at it, you are right, That part you found there looks like it will work.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help.

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dan,Sorry to say; but your answers weren't much help. You told me I would need to move a tumbler and push a pin on the lock cylinder (?) to get my key out, and that it would come out when I started doing the steering column. I responded that I needed it right away and did you have any other suggestions. You didn't respond. The key came out when I adjusted the shifter arm (which is hanging lose).I told you I was shifting with a screwdriver and asked if that would cause any damage. You did not respond. I since have removed all the plastic housing from the column and can shift easily with my hand, much easier than using a screwdriver.You initially told me that I would need to replace the entire steering column. 5 minutes on a Tundra forum, and I found the housing bracket that needs to be replaced.I came to this place first; before any online forums or YouTube, because I had a good experience previously - I got quick, specific answers that helped me solve the issue. This time I don't think I've got my money's worth. I feel that if I had never have come here I would be in the exact same situation I am now.I have not done the repair yet. I would like to send you a list of the parts I will buy and a link to the YouTube video I intend to follow when dismantling/reassembling the steering column and would appreciate it if you would let me know if I am missing anything.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Ok, sorry that I could not help you more, Yes I will watch the video and help you, remember that this question ends tomorrow. It can be difficult to diagnose your car without looking at it.

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Thank you