Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

It is a 2001 Camary. The ignition is locked and the key will

Customer Question

it is a 2001 Camary. The ignition is locked and the key will not turn. I have tried several keys and have locked and unlocked the steering wheel.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Park. But I have bypassed and moved it to neutral but that did not help anything.
JA: What is the model of your '01 Toyota?
Customer: It is a Camry
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well if it is something simple I could do it myself, otherwise I will have to call someone. Is it the neutral protector switch possibly?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ase Master replied 5 months ago.

Insert the key into the ignition then take a small hammer and tap the head of the key a few times not extremely hard but a good back this should free up the tumbler in the ignition switch and the vehicle will start let me know .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nope. It didn't work.

The key is not stuck correct ? Also the battery is not dead correct as this will cause this.

Also try pushing the key in hard while stepping on the brake and moving the steering wheel to see if it frees up.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The battery is not dead and the key is not stuck. I have tried stepping on the brake and moving the steering wheel. The key will still not turn. It pushes in and will turn just slightly but that is it.

Ok the tumblers in the ignition switch are jammed .try taking some wd40 and spray it in the ignition then try the key and hammer again giving it a good whack it should free up if not a locksmith will have to come to the house and replace the ignition which we don't want .