HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech/Toyota Certified
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

It died while driving it starts up but stalls right out I've

Customer Question

It died while driving it starts up but stalls right out I've replaced fuel pump and filter and cam sensor
JA: Has the filter ever been replaced? How has the car been running lately?
Customer: It was running great
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2000 tundra v6 3.4l
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fuel pump and can sensor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It has injector pulse when it starts but for a second
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Hello, have u run a diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool? How many miles are on the vehicle? Replacing the fuel pump was a guess?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well It has 220.000m feulfilter was replaced About a Year ago because of a simalar problem
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can spray it and it will keep running I checked injector pulse but only does it for a second
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Ok, was the check engine light on prior to the concern? Did you replace the fuel filter when you replaced the pump? With the new pump are you getting fuel pressure to the rail? Have you had it checked for codes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
all of the above no codes and yes filter was replaced also
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No check engine light
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

well if the check engine light was on, it has to have codes stored, since it will run when spraying the engine with carb clean, either you dont have fuel pressure at the rail, which you should with a new pump, or there is an issue with the crank sensor possibly,you have to verify if you have an rpm signal.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have fuel pressure at the rail
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do when it starts for a second
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Ok you need to verify if you have spark when it wont start as wel as pulse, you say you have injector pulse for a second, do you have constant spark? You have to recheck this for codes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Remember it will stay running when I spray it so I should have good spark
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Right, but if you are loosing injector pulse but not spark, then the crank sensor should be sending an rpm signal so it could be a possible bad ecu if you are loosing injector pulse. Need to check all injectors for battery voltage and ground drivers from the ECU. If you are having this type of issue it should set some sort of code, or have a wiring issue between the injectors and the ECU.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I replaced cam sensor because it should control injector pulse
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

RIght, so whats left, ecu check, verify circuit for injectors, possible ecu replacement.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I will check that because I did have a intermittent problem at times that it will stall when driving but will start back up
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok if so does it have to be programmed
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

This should be a plug and play, being an intermittent fault it cuuld be a wiring issue, a loose ground. Take a good look at all the main grounds and harness connections.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Do you need more help?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.