virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

1997 Toyota Rav 4 will not start. Seems to be getting fuel

Customer Question

1997 Toyota Rav 4 will not start. Seems to be getting fuel but won't start. Innova 3100 LaT tester showed red for Cat, EVA,O2S and EGR
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 3 months ago.

Hi there.

The first thing we need to know whenever an engine won't start, is find out which of the basic 4 elements is missing; engine compression, fuel pressure at the rail, injector pulse and spark at the plugs. One way to shorten diagnostic time is by trying to start the engine on starting fluid - if it does start, we'll know compression and spark are good.

I don't know your level of expertise or what kind of tools you have, but if need be, you could borrow a fuel pressure tester from any major auto parts store. In addition, Noid lights to check for injector pulse as well as spark testers are sold there for less than $20 each.

Once we determine what's preventing the engine from starting, we can move on and look at any emission controls issues the vehicle may have.

Please let me know if you'd like to proceed as I've indicated. Otherwise, I'll opt out and let other experts try to help.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me check some things and I'll get back to you

Not a problem. I'll opt out in case another expert wants to chime in. Please don't reply until the other expert responds or the site will cycle this back to me.

Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Do you still want help with this problem?
If so, do you know if you have spark?Let me know and I'll continue to assist.Thanks