Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Pearl I've got a good one! on my 2008 tundra sr5 double cab

Customer Question

pearl I've got a good one for you! on my 2008 tundra sr5 double cab I have been having the engine hesitate . just like it would do if you reached the high speed shut off. it doesn't kill just just loses power then regains it .when it first started it I noticed the theift deturaint light came on every to read
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: the truck runs fine. staets perfect. new battery. I know what the problem is the key transponder chip is losing contact with the imobiliser for a split second when I hit a bump.then recovers.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: took it to a local shop. they said they had it. yea right. I had to tell them what it was. then yesterday they said they couldn't fix it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: when I took my set of keys out and put just my spair in the deturant light stoped coming on and it didn't do it as often. the deturant light does not blink when the key is out like it should. I couldn't care less. any way I can fix it with out changing the ecu is what im shooting for and no im no electrical man just would bet my bottom dollar the what ever that receives the signal from the key has a loose connection.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ase Master replied 3 months ago.

Were there any codes in the system?