Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a Toyota Sequoia 2005 Limited, 2WD. It came with a

Customer Question

I have a Toyota Sequoia 2005 Limited, 2WD. It came with a trailer hitch but was damaged in a hit-from-the-rear accident. Between UHaul, Camping World, Reese, Draw tite - I keep coming up with the same replacement model... but my Toyota dealership says that ONLY OEM will fit and will take months to order
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The dealership say that they tried "several" different hitches. I had a UHaul dealership ready to install a new one, but in trying to remove the original, they found several bolts missing and bolt holes stripped and did not continue with the removal - I bought their hitch with the understanding that the Toyota dealership would remove the old hitch, repair the mounts, and then install the hitch I purchased. They found a technician that admitted to stripping the bolt holes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Toyota has agreed to take the hitch off today, return my car, and then examine and test the hitch in its entirety - and eventually reinstall it with a lifetime warranty
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What I need to know is why my particular model apparently has a unique fitting hitch that no other professional installer know about (according to Toyota dealership)? They claim that there is an exhaust bracket that interferes with the proscribed replacement. I understand metal stress corrosion and cracking. A weld that might appear intact now could easily fail with a load on it. This hitch took a direct impact from another 2500 lb vehicle. The wiring harness was destroyed, but the hitch seems unscathed. Insurance is footing the bill. Bot***** *****ne, I'm not going to trust the original hitch to tow the 6000lbs the SUV is rated for - and that's why I purchased the vehicle. And I worry that a dealership does not have the Non Destructive testing methods to examine, nor certify the hitch. Liability is one thing, actually losing a trailer and having someone hurt or killed is something else.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
should I expect an answer in the next few minutes? in just a short while I must leave to take the SUV to the Toyota dealership and sit for several hours until they have me back on the road. I'm a night shifter and have already been up all night - I'd like to have an answer before I go. The log in and "deposit" page functionality was questionable - and I saw only a "live" response until I found this page that now tells me that I "might" get an answer "within a day".
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is ANYTHING happening?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay - I'm pissed. I was online asking about Toyotas and towing and you came up as a search result. When I opened it, it took me directly to a site leading me to believe that a Just Answer rep was online and ready to chat. After several minutes of passing on information, THEN I was told that this would then be passed on to a Toyota Mechanic - but in the meantime, I could place my deposit... the first time any money was mentioned! Then, I was told my mechanic was standing by as soon as my deposit was placed. Did that. Then there was no response or acknowledgement that the deposit went thru - OR that there was anything wrong with my sign in and password. On the next page, the site told me that my password ***** email didn't match! Now I'm finding that my "answer" could take a day... that there is NO one online available since you are on PST and don't open until 6am. Would have been nice to know 45 minutes ago! So, here I sit, just wasted almost an hour, have no idea what you are doing with my credit card info, no idea if I can log back in or not. Terrible web site.
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** a live person and able to help you.

Do you still want help? I see this was an hour and a half ago and you seemed rather pressed for time.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do you have an answer?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hello? 1...2...3....