Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Can I replace the computer with a used computer that has the

Customer Question

Can I replace the computer with a used computer that has the same numbers on it?The van has the engine immobilizer on it.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Yes you can replace the computer with a used computer that has matching numbers. You will however need to program it and the keys to the vehicle during or after the swap so it will start and run right.

If your confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If your not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you are pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have to program the keys to the new to me computer?
To program the keys, turn the ignition like 5 times then open the door 6?
Can I use what is programmed already on the used computer....using the options that it has programmed....not necessarily matching the ones that the van is equipped with?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Yes you could leave the programming in the PCM that you install and hope for the best as well as attempt a at home immobilizer programming.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is it possible to reprogram the used ecm?

With a diagnostic tool, yes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The one from Toyota?....or will others work?

Some high end aftermarket tools will program but most do not have a link access to Toyota to get the most recent updates released.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do I have to get a different immobilizer, too?Also, it threw a P0341 it possible that I just fried the other cam sensor? It seems like the motor wants to start. I sent current down the one closest to the front/radiator of the van.

You do not have to replace the immobilizer when replacing the computer. It seems there was more to the concerns than you have told me. The question was opened and you asked " Can I replace the computer with a used computer that has the same numbers on it? The van has the engine immobilizer on it."

Was there more to the concern since your now talking about codes and the CMP sensor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My original question (it was started to be answered by another mechanic on this board) was that I had an overheating problem...the thermostat and water pump were replaced....I was trying to check the fan switch/sensor by sending 10 amps (battery charger) back through the circuit...thought I had the correct sensor....then realized it was was the cam sensor.
So, the motor turns over like it wants to start...check engine light and maintenance lights are on.
I was told ( by the other mechanic ) that the ECM was probably fried.
I replaced the radiator, after reading posts on here that matched the symptoms that the van was having.

Now that I know more about the concern. I do not believe i can figure out this issue. I will opt out and let another try. You may want to open a new post since the concern now is not the same as the question you asked me.