Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have accidentally closed the inner part of my 2004 corolla

Customer Question

I have accidentally closed the inner part of my 2004 corolla sunroof
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: well the inside of the sunroof will close all the way but the actual Glass itself will not....the inner part of the sunroof needs to be puhed all the back before the galss will seal
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

What you need to do is push the inner part all the way back until it catches in the locking retainers that keep it from opening unless the glass is closed. There is a retaining strip at the rear of the panel that must be behind the glass part so you can only push it back with the glass in the closed position.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, it will only push back so far and that's it. The glass won't close all the way so I cannot perform the task you are describing. What caused the initial problem was that I had the sunroof open glass and inner part both. Then, not thinking I closed the inner piece to block the sun, while the glass was still open. Now the inner piece will not open all the way and the glass piece will not close all the way. They both move back and forth but I cannot fully open the inner piece or fully close the glass. Please help.