Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics

How Are You Doing I have a 2004 4Runner v/6. The low tire

Customer Question

Hello How Are You Doing
I have a 2004 4Runner v/6. The low tire light blinks, all tires are up to the required pressure.In the past when a tire was low the light would come on steady untill the pressure was corected then the light would go out. We looked in the owners manual & it says to take it to a dealer, I would rather not,they are expensive. Can you help?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hey Ron! When the low tire light blinks, this means there is a problem somewhere in the tire monitoring system. Unfortunately, there are several parts and sensors in the system and to take a guess as to which has the fault and be correct would be impossible. I can say though, a more common fail item here is a tire pressure sensor. There is a sensor inside each tire behind the valve stem. At this point, you'll need to have the diagnostic trouble codes scanned from the on-board computer using a scan-tool that can read the output signals from those pressure sensors. Many local tire shops and local repair shops these days will have the correct scan-tool, so no actual "need" to take it to a Dealer. Once you have those trouble codes, you can more accurately determine the root of the problem and make the correct repair. If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.