K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I had an unknown fuse on 80A ALT 1 ( current) that I thought

Customer Question

I had an unknown fuse on 80A ALT 1 (for high current) that I thought would fix a personal problem and I removed the black and yellow cord along with attached adapter. I tried to remove the fuse itself but it was bolted in the fuse box, as a result I damaged the fuse to remove it. I still have the adapter and wiring...do you think if I replaced the fuse with a new one and wired everything back together it would function properly? That's if I didn't damage the casing that the fuse fits in.
Also, is there any step by step procedures I need to follow to avoid blowing any other fuses.? Thank You, ***** *****
Category: Toyota
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 9 months ago.

Hi Scott, as long as you can but it back together where the bolts make contact with the tabs of the fuse and fuse box it should function properly.

In order to avoid blowing any fuses while working on it just disconnect the negative battery cable.

Let me know how things go.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi it's Scott again. I picked up a 80A fuse and it does not reach both bolts. Do I need a 120 A like the fuse cover displays or do they make a 80A fuse that reaches both bolts. Also, I'm having trouble removing the remnants of the destroyed fuse I've been trying to remove. Do you have any suggestions on the matter? I'm trying to avoid having a mechanic come to my house and pay for his service use to lack of funds. Thank you for your help. Scott
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
In addition, what was that black and yellow device anyway? Any clues? Thanks. Scott

Hi Scott you defintely need the 120 amp fuse for it's amp rating. It may also be longer check the new oens length against the 80 you have currently.

As for getting piece out try some needle nose pliers or a pick. PArts stores have pick sets pretty cheap usually.

As for the black and yellow device, I'm not sure could you upload a picture?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is the device with the black and yellow wire tubing that I stumbled upon. Any ideas? Does it need to go back on? ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I get the old fuse out?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know what it is. I know what you are. You get a thumbs up.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cha ching

I apologize for the delay, there were bad storms here and we lost power.

The part is an air bag sensor, it would be best to reinstall it. With that in mind ABS components at the very least need to be soldered in and heat shrinked as the system is sensitive to voltage drops.

Can you post a picture of what you're dealing with in the fuse box?

Let me know how I can help further. Your satisfaction and helping resolve your issue is my goal.