Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I think my starter is going bad on my 2005 Toyota Tundra it

Customer Question

I think my starter is going bad on my 2005 Toyota Tundra it clicks some times then starts but some times it will just start I went out earlier to start it and it wouldn't do anything lightly pushed on the relay and it fired right up someone said it could just be the relay is there anyway to find out before I take my whole intake manifold off to change the starter
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Can you get to the starter trigger wire without pulling the starter? There should be a big red wire- this supplies a constant 12 volts, and then there should be a trigger wire-usually red also- this will have 12 volts with the key in the crank position. If you are getting 12 volts there with the key in the crank position when it won't start then the problem is the starter.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The starter is located under the intake manifold on this year of Tundra do you know where I can get to it and I need a volt tester correct
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Sorry, I had to put my kids to bed.

I forgot that the starter really is underneath the intake on this year model. What a bizarre design.

You can test the presence of voltage at pin 3 of the starter relay with the key in the crank position, or 12 volts at the black with white stripe wire coming out if that pin of the relay. This will give the same or similar result to testing for voltage at the trigger wire of the starter.