john, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field

Umm. car starts. But I put it in reverse and it stalls out.

Customer Question

JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: It wasn't on yesterday, isn't on until it stalls. It hasn't been stalling.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2001 Camry Solara
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't done anything. I want to fix it if it is something a novice can do.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The past few days, when I put it in reverse I hear/feel..... Its like I hit a curb, but its in the engine, like the transition from park to reverse was hard.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

do you have access to a scan tool?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I dont.
Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causesif you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure