Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

Clicks when turn the key to start, occasionally crank but

Customer Question

clicks when turn the key to start, occasionally crank but wont start
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: no..1995 Toyota...on park
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1995, hilux pickup
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: clean battery terminals, check cables, recharge battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: engine light constant....code 24/31
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer., Please allow me to assist you. The codes 24 and 32 indicate issues with the Mass Air Flow ("MAF") sensor. You may have something as simple as a cracked air tube that connects the MAF to the engine, or, a faulty MAF. Replacement of the MAF on this particular model is rather expensive. Further diagnosis by a qualified tech with a good scan too (that can read the MAF input values) would be recommended before purchasing a replacement unit.

Now, a single 'Click' (and the engine does not crank) when you turn the key to start indicates an issue with the starter