Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I ran over a sign in road, ripped tranny pan, did no damage

Customer Question

i ran over a sign in road, ripped tranny pan, did no damage to anything else, just pan, i did not drive it , all fluid ran out and car stopped moving maybe drove 50 feet , i replaced pan filled tranny fluid and now car dont move at all, i do have a code p0500 , could that keeo car from shifting?
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 01 toyota echo
JA: What year is your Echo?
Customer: 01 ? 2001
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: all i tried was replacing pan and filling fluid up again. scanned it and had p0500 cleared code, started car again, let it warm up and tried shifting in all gears, and nothing happens? i dont see anythin g else damaged under neath
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes car starts
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no, just that fluids are full, and tranny dont shift into anygears only code is p0500, will that code keep tranny from shifting?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Kavey replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

That code will not cause it to not move at all.

Check your fluid with the engine off and again with the engine idling and the transmission in neutral? Are the levels different?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
level is the same
Expert:  Kavey replied 8 months ago.

Thats a sign that the pump is not running. Which means its burned up. Its time to either replace or rebuild it.

Sorry for the bad news but if the pump is running the fluid level will be much lower on the dipstick with it running than not. Check it on another car if you want to verify that.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok, check level again and yes it does go down when car is on
Expert:  Kavey replied 8 months ago.

How far down?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Maybe 1/4 or half inch difference, it does show over filled , if it's over filled could that be an issue , over filled by about 2 inches about full line when cold
Expert:  Kavey replied 8 months ago.

Was it overfilled when you filled it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think over filled
Expert:  Kavey replied 8 months ago.

Im not sure if that contributed or not. I would imagine the pump was burnt up before you ever did anything. Generally when you run it till it stops moving from lack of fluid the damage is already done.