K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

2004 tundra, new front rotors n brakes. napa ultra. put new

Customer Question

2004 tundra, new front rotors n brakes. napa ultra. put new tires on and shake began. read that it could be rear drums. read that these vehicles were known to do this when drums get 50000 plus miles. mine has 80,000 I'm looking for a second opinion
JA: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?
Customer: front brakes n rotors 1 year. rear drums OEM 80, thousand on truck.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I do all my own work. I've done much research on the shake. What I came up with after months of reading is the rear drums from factory are crappy and intended to replace drums n shoes. Fronts are Napas top end rotors and ceramic /metal sintered pads. I intended to up the anty on the rear to match front. The day after I put on new tires last fall is when I noticed the vibration. Its only at light braking and it feels rearward. but a second opinion is always nice from someone who has their hand in it all the time.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
JA: Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page where you can book your 1:1 with the Toyota Mechanic. I'll share everything we've discussed.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I would move the rear tires to front to make sure it's not a balance issue. If the shake is still there I would either have the drums turned or replace them. Replacement prefered as these drums are of lesser quality.