rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Toyota matrix 2003 wont start. Battery is a year old. What

Customer Question

Toyota matrix 2003 wont start. Battery is a year old.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: What does turn over mean
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried starting it. Then checked the battery by turning lights on and the radio. They seem to be working fine. The lights don't dim out and the radio is fine.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I hear the sound of the starter but its very faint
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

This can still be a battery issue, there's plenty there to run lights and radio, but NOT start the car if the engine DOES turn when you hit the key. If the engine does not turn.crank when you hit the key, then the starter may be bad.

Thanks, ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pretty sure its the starter
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Sound like it, if the battery has been confirmed good.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.