sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Oh Is this free? I wa s just looking at problems similar to

Customer Question

Oh hi! Is this free? I wa
s just looking at problems similar to mine :)
JA: The Toyota Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2005 Camry
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet. It just started this morning. I'm hoping to either fix it myself or at least have an idea of the issue so I don't get the run-around at the shop
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: When I started the car this morning, there is a loud whining sound coming from the engine that sounds like a belt, but the sound diminishes when I accelerate or coast. No sound when I am in reverse.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Its never made this sound before??
JA: OK got it. Last thing - Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Oops, wrong answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dan, I was not aware that an actual mechanic would speak with me regarding my car issue. I thought this was a forum of sorts and simply asked if the service or (what I originally thought was) forum was free to access. I wasn't trying to throw anyone under the bus for a free service. Thanks!
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sprinkles, yes I still need help identifying the issue. I have a 2005 Camry with roughly 167K miles on it. I regularly have the oil changed but I'm a little slack on other maintenance. My fiancé said it sounded like it was coming from the alternator and said t could possibly be the alternator pulley. What I've researched so far says the same or it could be power steering pump. I haven't checked the levels yet but will here shortly.

Have you attempted to drive the car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I drove it yesterday to work. I had no choice. It drives just fine. No change in acceleration or speed or when it changes gears. I DO need new spark plugs and the sort which I was planning on getting this weekend but I know that doesn't have much to do with this.

What I was concerned with was the transmission. Does it seem to operate normally?
Does the noise change when you move the shifter in and out of gear?
Did the engine light or any other warning light come on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No the shifter does not affect the sound. It's coming from the left side of the engine right at the belt (I don't know what belt that is) when I have the hood up and car running. No dash lights have come on either.

If it's coming from the front of the engine at the right side of the engine compartment then the noise is almost surely coming from an engine driven accessory. It could be coming from the alternator, water pump, a/c compressor, power steering pump or the tensioner pulley. If no visible issues can be seen then a mechanic's stethoscope can be used to listen to each component.

If no stethoscope is available then the belt can be removed to feel each component by hand to check for play or roughness, they can also be spun to listen for abnormal noise.