Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

We have a 2012 Prius and she is having trouble with filling

Customer Question

We have a 2012 Prius and she is having trouble with filling the car up it takes about 20 min. A friend said that he ran into this problem before and it was the charcoal canister by the gas tank. So i changed it and it worked for a few days and now it doesn't . Took to dealer ship they said it was a loose gas cap and well it still not fixed. How can you tell if the canister is broke and what so you think could be the problem with filling up the car
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and I will post back with your reply ASAP

is there any check engine light on dash or all good no warning lighT?

has the dealer scanned with diagnostic machine and came up with no fault ?

how many miles on the prius ?

Thank You ***** ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there is 147k miles on the car and yes the engine light it on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
codes i am not sure of my wife that knows everything about her car now says it pops up and says there is a leak in the evp system
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we changed the gas cap just a couple of days and have not driven the car in a week about to just through money at it and get it fixed but where i live there is only one certified mechanic and they are 200 miles away was wondering if there was anything i could try before i take it to shop

There is a series of test that can be ran with a scanner to test all the components i sent you in diagram , and also visually inspect all the vacuum connection and powers & ground to the evap solenoids and also any leak on the new canister they installed

oh wow , i m sorry ,200 miles away , I will try to do my best i can for you and we will try to see what the problem is hopefully :)

wish you had a scanner or get me those codes , be really helpfull

Chad

You need to look at all connection on the canister and vacuum lines ,

also if you have a test light , check all fuses , in case , they did not at dealer or missed one ?

try to listen to any hissing noise coming from around the canister area ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i will try this things
is that last digram you sent me codes that i should look at she has a code reader of the car right know was going to take it out for a drive and see if it pops up and new codes

and you are exactly right , if we get some of these codes ,we will match to chart and look in that area for problems

yes good idea and let me know , I m online daily from 10 till 12 pm , during the day i run my shop and evening and weekends have more time but when u reply back i usualy answer within 30 min

so just let me know

Chad

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
P0456 not doesn't tell me much but there is a little leak some where so i will have to crawl under the car and start at the canisters that i installed thank you chad you where very helpful also can you tell me if i should check anywhere else

you welcome

I m looking for you and I will see what i have more of diagrams to help, and let me look up the troubleshoot on the po456 also, it will be in a little bit maybe an hour if that is okay

you can check under while I m doing that .

Chad

be honest , we do this using a smoke machine and we fill the system, and we look for the smoke ,especially on a a small leak that is hard to find ,

but , i suggest a flash light when u crawl under there

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks chad your have been very helpful allot more than the people in Alaska

Oh wow , you in alaska, thank you , I try .